Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Student Writing Samples--August

During the month of August I noticed and read about all of the flooding in the Midwest. I used the SMART Board to show the students the devastation which was occurring.

The Assignment was to imagine that you were a volunteer sent to help out these people and tell your story using this week's vocabulary words.

Here are some of the student's stories:

The Flood

By Vanessa

Being a volunteer was exhausting. The reason that I was tired was because I really needed to flex when I was trying to get a little boy who was trapped in the river.

I saw that people were fumed because the flood destroyed their homes. We were rummaging in the river because we were looking for people that were trapped so we moved every object that was in the river.

We were reluctant at first, but when we rescued we were happy. Everyone helping to help realized that helping people was their instinct.

Volunteering

By Alexandria

I was in Iowa with a group of volunteers. We were on a boat pulling people out. Then I saw a little kid drowning. I was trying to pull him out. I flexed my muscles because I wanted to get a better grip. I was so exhausted. The little boy rummaged through us looking for his mom. He started to cry. We didn’t know why, but then he grabbed my hand and asked “Did you save my mom.” I told him “I don’t know who your mom is.”

He fumed at me and wanted to jump off. The little boy had instinct. We reluctantly went to a safer place.

I was happy I helped save people’s lives from the flood.


Volunteer

By Alejandro

When I reached Ohio, the flood was horrible and the worst thing was there is alligators everywhere you look. Some people couldn’t make it others were exhausted and got eaten. The chief said to rummage the houses if no one comes.

The people had an instinct to grab paddles to scare the alligators away and wait for me and my backup, Steve’s alligator team. I went and saw a family nearly died with no food but plenty of water.

The whole family flexed their hand and reluctantly yelled “help.” But before I grabbed them and alligator tried to bite them and the family was so fumed they used a paddle to scare the alligators away.

I had saved the family and the weird thing was they were the only family who didn’t leave and so my team and we all got an award for doing so.

The Flood

By Roberto

Being a volunteer is not an instinct because you have to learn how to swim and do other stuff to save people. When they told me people had died I fumed because we couldn’t save them.

When I went inside a house I rummaged through the house looking for people. I flexed my muscles so I could carry a kid in the bed that I saw and three other people.

After that I was full of exhaustion but I was reluctant to stop working because there are people drowning in their houses. I didn’t stop working. I kept working for days then the flooded areas went back down. I volunteered to help them build the houses again.






















1 comment:

~JFV~ said...

Great imagination and good choice of words. Keep writing!